- Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
- People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.
- Anxiety is the dizziness of freedom.
- People understand me so poorly that they don’t even understand my complaint about them not understanding me.
- Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.
- There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
- The most common form of despair is not being who you are.
- The most painful state of being is remembering the future, particularly the one you’ll never have.
- Marry, and you will regret it; don’t marry, you will also regret it; marry or don’t marry, you will regret it either way.
- The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins.
- If anyone on the verge of action should judge himself according to the outcome, he would never begin.
- Many of us pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that we hurry past it.
- Boredom is the root of all evil – the despairing refusal to be oneself.
- It is impossible to exist without passion.
- The self-assured believer is a greater sinner in the eyes of God than the troubled disbeliever.
Favorite Soren Kierkegaard Quotes
A few words from a man who regrets regreting.